Magic and whimsy meet in this Howl’s Moving Castle for a new generation from the critically adored Sophie Anderson, author of The House with Chicken Legs.
Twelve-year-old Olia knows a thing or two about secrets. Her parents are the caretakers of Castle Mila, a soaring palace with golden domes, lush gardens, and countless rooms. Literally countless rooms. There are rooms that appear and disappear, and rooms that have been hiding themselves for centuries. The only person who can access them is Olia. She has a special bond with the castle, and it seems to trust her with its secrets.
But then a violent storm rolls in . . . a storm that skips over the village and surrounds the castle, threatening to tear it apart. While taking cover in a rarely-used room, Olia stumbles down a secret passage that leads to a part of Castle Mila she’s never seen before. A strange network of rooms that hide the secret to the castle’s past . . . and the truth about who’s trying to destroy it.
About the Author
Sophie Anderson lives in England’s Lake District with her husband, four children, and a Border collie. She enjoys wandering, daydreaming, and storytelling. Her bestselling novels have won the Independent Bookshop Book of the Year Award, and been shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal twice. Visit her online at sophieandersonauthor.com.
Praise for The Girl Who Speaks Bear:
* “Marvelously charmed and charming. “ -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* “Readers will revel in this new fairy tale that borrows from the old to make something new.” -- Booklist, starred review
* “A gem of a fairy tale, Anderson’s sophomore effort offers a dynamic, memorable cast with rich personalities amid lasting messages about belonging, graceful acceptance of aid, and the power of stories.” -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
Praise for The House with Chicken Legs:
* “Heartbreaking, uplifting, and absolutely beautiful.” -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* “A thoughtfully crafted, macabre masterpiece.” -- School Library Journal, starred review
Praise for The Castle of Tangled Magic:
*“An intimately cadenced adventure, rendering the magically charged setting a character of its own while emphasizing themes of perspective, family legacy, and following one’s gut.” --Publisher’s Weekly, starred review