Other Books in Series
This is book number 16 in the Maisie Dobbs series.
- #1: Maisie Dobbs (Paperback): $16.95
- #2: Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs #2) (Paperback): $16.95
- #3: Pardonable Lies: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels #3) (Paperback): $17.00
- #4: Messenger of Truth: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels #4) (Paperback): $17.00
- #5: An Incomplete Revenge: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels #5) (Paperback): $17.00
- #6: Among the Mad: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Maisie Dobbs Novels #6) (Paperback): $17.00
- #7: The Mapping of Love and Death: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Large Print / Paperback): $25.99
- #8: A Lesson in Secrets: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Paperback): $15.99
- #9: Elegy for Eddie: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Paperback): $15.99
- #10: Leaving Everything Most Loved: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #11: A Dangerous Place: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Paperback): $15.99
- #12: Journey to Munich: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Hardcover): Email or call for price
- #13: In This Grave Hour: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Paperback): $15.99
- #14: To Die but Once: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
- #15: The American Agent: A Maisie Dobbs Novel (Hardcover): $27.99
As Europe buckles under Nazi occupation, Maisie Dobbs investigates a possible murder that threatens devastating repercussions for Britain's war efforts in this latest installment in the New York Times bestselling mystery series.
October 1941. While on a delivery, young Freddie Hackett, a message runner for a government office, witnesses an argument that ends in murder. Crouching in the doorway of a bombed-out house, Freddie waits until the coast is clear. But when he arrives at the delivery address, he’s shocked to come face to face with the killer.
Dismissed by the police when he attempts to report the crime, Freddie goes in search of a woman he once met when delivering a message: Maisie Dobbs. While Maisie believes the boy and wants to help, she must maintain extreme caution: she’s working secretly for the Special Operations Executive, assessing candidates for crucial work with the French resistance. Her two worlds collide when she spots the killer in a place she least expects. She soon realizes she’s been pulled into the orbit of a man who has his own reasons to kill—reasons that go back to the last war.
As Maisie becomes entangled in a power struggle between Britain’s intelligence efforts in France and the work of Free French agents operating across Europe, she must also contend with the lingering question of Freddie Hackett’s state of mind. What she uncovers could hold disastrous consequences for all involved in this compelling chapter of the “series that seems to get better with every entry” (Wall Street Journal).
About the Author
Jacqueline Winspear is the author of the New York Times bestselling Maisie Dobbs series, which includes In This Grave Hour, Journey to Munich, A Dangerous Place, Leaving Everything Most Loved, Elegy for Eddie, and eight other novels. Her standalone novel, The Care and Management of Lies, was also a New York Times bestseller and a Dayton Literary Peace Prize finalist. Originally from the United Kingdom, she now lives in California.
“Outstanding…. Maisie and her loving family of supporting characters continue to evolve and grow in ways sure to win readers’ hearts. Winspear is writing at the top of her game.”
— Publishers Weekly, starred review